20 Random Facts About Sirius Black That You Never Knew
- Sirius Black was the last living descendant of the House of Black.
- Sirius was a member of the Order of the Phoenix.
- He owned a motorcycle that he called a Firebolt, one of the fastest types of broomsticks.
- He had a close relationship with Harry Potter, saving him from danger multiple times throughout the series.
- After escaping Azkaban, Sirius went into hiding in the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade village.
- Sirius Black was born on November 3, 1959; he was the only son of wealthy pure-blood wizards, Orion and Walburga Black.
- His godfather status with Harry Potter led to his being referred to as “Uncle Sirius”.
- He was portrayed by Gary Oldman in the Harry Potter films.
- He was once an Animagus, but his ability to transform wasn’t powerful enough to break out of Azkaban Prison.
- He had an older brother named Regulus and a younger sister called Bellatrix Lestrange.
- He had a strong bond with Harry Potter, serving as both a mentor and guide for him during his time at Hogwarts.
- Sirius Black was killed by Bellatrix Lestrange at the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.
- He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1970 to 1977.
- Did you know that there are some interesting random facts about Sirius Black, who was branded as a traitor to the wizarding world.
- Sirius was an accomplished wizard, excelling in Defense Against the Dark Arts and Transfiguration.
Table of Contents
Random Facts About Sirius Black
Here are 20 Random Facts About Sirius Black that You Never Knew!
1. He was the first to be sorted outside of Slytherin.
The black family strongly believed in pure-blood beliefs. Mostly, they were part of Slytherin House. However, Sirius strongly disagreed with his family’s views, and unlike his family traditions, he was sorted to Gryffindor.
Both shared the same stance of bravery and standing up for what they believed in.
2. Sirius Black believed Remus Lupin was Voldemort’s Spy.
Due to the serious unease, Voldemort caused many wizards to feel during the war, Sirius became paranoid about who he could trust. He suspected Rumus Lupin of potential betrayal as the dark lord’s spy.
Astonishingly, he trusted Peter Pettigrew with his life, a fatal mistake that he would live to regret.
3. He was the first known person to ever successfully escape from the Azkaban prison.
Sirius discovered that Peter Pettigrew was still alive and in hiding in Animagus form as Ron Weasley’s pet rat.
To get revenge, Sirius took his Animagus form and, thinned from malnourishment, was able to slip through the bars of his cells and past the dementors. He swam across the North Sea and got freedom.
4. He survived the dementors by converting his thoughts into obsession.
Random Facts About Sirius Black reveal that, while in Azkaban, he used his innocence as motivation to remain positive, a seemingly impossible feat as dementors feed on positivity.
It became an obsession to prove his innocence and seek revenge. Dementors can’t feed on motivation or obsessive feelings and Sirius kept his sanity in turn.
5. The ministry had an alternative motion to keep Sirius in Azkaban.
Such was the ministry’s belief of Sirius’s guilt for Pettigrew’s crime, had anyone tried to interfere with his imprisonment or new information of any sort that could clear Sirius, they could imprison him for being an unregistered Animagus.
6. Explore the Fascinating Random Facts About Sirius Black: The Shocking Revelation That He Did Not Die From Avada Kedavra.
The book clearly indicates that Sirius Black’s death was the result of him falling into the veil-and nothing else- falling back into it after being struck by Bellatrix Lestrange’s curse. However, the film suggests that he may have died from the killing curse.
7. He takes a big risk in the Goblet of Fire.
Sirius was very still much ‘on the run and by the ministry. Now a freeman, Sirius was able to travel around as he pleased, but carefully.
Sirius does not have a big role in the fourth book, but he does make his presence known a little by traveling to Hogsmeade in order to interact with Harry.
8. He gave Ron a pet owl.
At the end of Prison of Azkaban, Ron Weasley no longer had a pet rat, as it was revealed that Scrubbers was in fact ex-marauder Peter Pettigrew.
Without a pet, Ron was a bit glum, which is what prompted Sirius Black to gift them an owl to Ron named Pigwidgeon.
9. Sirius was only 22 when sent to Azkaban.
In 1981, after betraying the Potters, Pettigrew committed a heinous act by killing 12 muggles and causing extensive damage to the sewer system, but did you know there are Random Facts About Sirius Black’s involvement in the tragic event?
Somehow, Sirius was blamed and sent to Azkaban at the age of 22.
10. He was the secret keeper before Peter Pettigrew.
One of the reasons that the potters died was because of their chosen secret keeper, their good friend Pettigrew.
Initially, black was chosen by Potters to be the secret keeper but feeling that he would be an obvious target of Voldemort, Sirius instead recommended Pettigrew.
11. Sirius was friends with Hermione’s cat, Crookshanks.
Crookshanks was Hermione Granger’s pet cat: a Half-Kneazle with a very regal lion-like appearance.
The pet was intelligent and could solve all sorts of problems on his own. Crookshanks doesn’t make much of an appearance in the films, but book readers know Sirius had a good relationship with Crookshanks.
12. One of the Random Facts About Sirius Black Is That He Gave Harry His First Broom.
READ ALSO: 20 BTS Sad Facts That Will Make You Cry
It’s not the firebolt that Sirius gave Harry at the end of Prisoner of Azkaban we are talking about. But the broom that Sirius gave Harry is mentioned in a letter from Lily to Sirius sometime around Harry’s first birthday.
Lily thanked Sirius for the gift in the letter.
13. There is a lost story about Sirius Black and James Potter.
JK Rowling wrote a handwritten untitled 800-word short story that gave fans more about The Adventures of two of the marauders, James Potter and Sirius Black.
The story features the two of them in a chase with muggle police officers, where they inevitably escaped on broomsticks.
14. Sirius Black was the third child in the Black Clan.
Sirius Black is the third child to be named Sirius in the Black clan. Originally, he is not technically the third, as his father and grandfather weren’t named Sirius.
There were two Sirius who came before, and the first had died at eight years old. The second is roughly assumed to be alive between 1877 and 1952.
15. His name has roots in astronomy.
The word Sirius means the brightest star in Latin and is a binary star system in the constellation Canis Major known as a singly extremely luminous white star. Adding to Roman Culture, it is associated with the dog days of summer cute.
16. Sirius Had a “Grey Wolf” Tattoo.
Sirius Black’s alchemy tattoo is a symbol of the grey wolf, which fans have speculated is because of his Animagus.
His other tattoos include the symbol for steel but rotated 90 degrees and different variations of runes that some have speculated are linked to the world tree and various mythologies.
17. The number of Sirius’s vault was 711.
Fans may have noticed a connection between the seemly arbitrary number of Sirius’s vault at Gringotts and the page and the British version of the order of the Phoenix that he dies on.
Both are 711 and to be fair his vault is technically the black vault that he inherited.
18. There is more than one name for Sirius Black.
Black was given different names in the series of wizardly worlds. The trio (Hermione, Harry, and Ron) used to call him Snuffles. The marauders had given him the name “Padfoot”. Stubby Boardman is another name for Sirius Black.
19. There are differences between the book and movie about Sirius Black.
Did you know that there are Random Facts About Sirius Black’s appearance that were altered for the films? In the books, he has blue eyes and brown hair, while in the movies, his hair is black and his eyes are grey.
20. Sirius Black died at the age of 36.
In the books, Sirius dies at a very young age. However, in the film, the character was played by 46 years Gary Oldman in the film Prisoner of Azkaban.
Conclusion for Random Facts About Sirius Black :
there are many interesting and random facts about Sirius Black. He was a talented wizard and a valuable member of the Order of the Phoenix, but he was also plagued by a troubled past and a complicated family history.
Despite his flaws, Sirius remained loyal and devoted to his friends, and he played a crucial role in the fight against Lord Voldemort.
Overall, Sirius Black is a fascinating and multi-faceted character in the Harry Potter series, and his story continues to captivate readers and fans around the world.
FAQs : Random Facts About Sirius Black
- when was sirius black born?
According to the Harry Potter books, Sirius Black was born on November 3, 1959.
- How did Sirius become an Animagus?
Sirius Black was an Animagus, meaning he could transform into an animal at will. But how did he become one?
As a young boy, Sirius learned about the magical ability from his potion master, who told him it was a difficult and dangerous task. Sirius was determined to succeed, and after years of experimentation, he finally mastered the transformation.
- what do sirius black's tattoos mean?
There is no specific mention in the Harry Potter books about the meaning behind Sirius Black’s tattoos, including his “Grey Wolf” tattoo. It is left up to interpretation and speculation.
- How did Sirius die?
Sirius died when he was hit by a curse from Lord Voldemort during the battle at the Department of Mysteries.
- how old was sirius black when he died?
According to the Harry Potter books, Sirius Black died at the age of 36 years old.
- Is sirius black draco's uncle?
No, Sirius Black is not Draco Malfoy’s uncle. Sirius Black is the godfather of Harry Potter, and Draco Malfoy is the son of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. Lucius Malfoy is a distant cousin of Sirius Black’s, but they are not close enough in relation to being considered uncle and nephew.
- What is sirius black second name?
Sirius Black’s full name is Sirius Orion Black.
- what is sirius black owl name?
There is no mention in the Harry Potter books of Sirius Black having an owl. It was actually Sirius who gave Ron Weasley his pet owl, whom Ron named Pigwidgeon.
- How much powerful is sirius black?
Sirius Black was a skilled and powerful wizard, having been a member of the Order of the Phoenix and an Animagus who could transform into a large black dog. like all wizards, his power and abilities had limitations and were subject to factors such as his physical condition, mental state, and magical knowledge.
- How much older is sirius than regulus?
According to the Harry Potter books, Sirius Black was born in 1959 and Regulus Black was born in 1961, which means that Sirius was two years older than his younger brother Regulus.