23 Mind-Blowing Fun Facts About Whitney Houston
- Whitney Houston was born on August 9, 1963, in Newark, New Jersey.
- Her mother was gospel singer Cissy Houston and her cousin was Dionne Warwick.
- Houston started singing in her church choir at the age of 11.
- She was discovered by music executive Clive Davis in the 1980s.
- Her self-titled debut album was released in 1985 and became a multi-platinum hit.
- She won 6 Grammy Awards throughout her career.
- She was the first female artist to have 7 consecutive #1 Billboard Hot 100 hits.
- Houston was known for her powerful and soulful voice.
- She sold over 200 million records worldwide, making her one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
- Houston was recognized as a fashion icon for her glamorous red carpet looks.
- She struggled with drug abuse for many years.
- Houston was found dead in a hotel room on February 11, 2012, at the age of 48.
- Whitney Houston was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.
- Whitney Houston was the first African American woman to be featured on the cover of Seventeen magazine.
- She was also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2020.
Table of Contents
Fun Facts About Whitney Houston
These Are 23 Mind-Blowing Fun Facts About Whitney Houston
1. Whitney Houston was born in Newark, New Jersey in 1963.
Whitney Houston was born on August 9, 1963, in Newark, NJ. She was raised in a musical family and went on to become a six-time Grammy Award-winning artist.
Her powerful voice and soulful performances solidified her place as the Queen of Pop in the hearts of fans around the world.
2. She was a model before launching her music career.
Before becoming a music icon, Whitney Houston modeled for various advertisements. She gained confidence and worldly experience through her modeling work, setting the stage for her successful transition into music.
Her early career as a model significantly shaped her into the confident performer she later became.
3. Whitney won her first Grammy award in 1986 for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
Whitney Houston won her first Grammy in 1986 for “Saving All My Love for You.” This marked the start of her successful music career, earning her a total of 6 Grammys and 22 nominations.
Her powerful voice and soulful performances established her as a musical icon, beloved by fans worldwide.
4. She holds the record for most consecutive sold-out concerts at Wembley Arena in London.
Whitney Houston set a record with 10 consecutive sold-out shows at London’s Wembley Arena. This feat showcases her immense popularity and ability to captivate audiences.
The record remains unbroken, cementing Whitney’s legacy as a legendary musical performer.
5. Who is Whitney Houston’s daughter?
Whitney Houston’s daughter was Bobbi Kristina Brown, born in 1993. She was Whitney’s only child and was often seen in public with her mother. Bobbi Kristina was a talented singer and actress.
Sadly, she passed away in 2015 at the age of 22.
6. She appeared in the film “The Bodyguard” in 1992, which also featured her hit song “I Will Always Love You”.
READ ALSO: 25 Fun Facts About Billie Eilish
Whitney Houston made her film debut in 1992’s “The Bodyguard,” featuring her hit song “I Will Always Love You.” The film was a huge success, grossing over $400 million and earning Whitney a Golden Globe nomination.
“I Will Always Love You” solidified her place as one of the most successful musical performers of all time.
7. Houston was the first female artist to have seven consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits.
Whitney Houston became the first female artist to have 7 consecutive No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. This remarkable feat showcases her musical talent and popularity.
Whitney dominated the music industry with her powerful voice and soulful performances, setting a record that remains impressive to this day.
8. She is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with over 200 million records sold worldwide.
Whitney Houston is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with over 200 million records sold worldwide.
Her powerful voice, soulful performances, and timeless hits have earned her a place among the greatest musical performers in history. Whitney’s impact on the music industry continues to inspire new generations of artists.
9. Whitney was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2020.
Whitney Houston was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2020, a testament to her enduring impact and lasting legacy.
This honor recognizes Whitney’s incredible talent, popularity, and influence. Whitney’s induction is a fitting recognition of her achievements and contributions to music.
10. Houston was the cousin of the legendary singer Dionne Warwick.
Whitney Houston was the cousin of singer Dionne Warwick. Both women had a profound impact on music, and their family connections helped shape popular music.
Whitney and Dionne’s shared love of music has left a lasting legacy that continues to inspire new generations of musicians.
11. She was married to R&B artist Bobby Brown from 1992 to 2007.
Whitney Houston, an American singer, actress, and model, was married to Bobby Brown, an American R&B artist, from July 18, 1992, until their divorce was finalized on April 24, 2007.
During their marriage, the couple had one child, a daughter named Bobbi Kristina Brown, who was born on March 4, 1993.
12. Whitney was a devout Christian and often incorporated gospel elements into her music.
Whitney Houston was a devout Christian and incorporated gospel into her music. She regularly attended church services, and her gospel hit “I Love the Lord” showcased her powerful vocals.
Whitney’s incorporation of gospel elements was widely praised and established her as a great singer.
13. Who is Whitney Houston’s mother?
Whitney Houston’s mother was Cissy Houston, a gospel singer, and performer. Cissy was an important influence on Whitney’s music and career.
She was a major force in gospel music, inspiring Whitney’s love of music and gospel/R&B style. Cissy’s legacy continues to be felt today.
14. Houston won 30 Billboard Music Awards throughout her career.
Whitney Houston won 30 Billboard Music Awards throughout her career. These awards recognized her achievements in various categories, including Top Female Pop Artist, Top R&B Artist, and Top Soundtrack Album.
Her numerous awards highlight her talent, popularity, and impact on the music industry.
15. She was raised in a musical family and was exposed to gospel music from a young age.
READ ALSO: 25 Little-Known Facts about Bruno Mars
Whitney Houston was raised in a musical family with gospel roots. Her mother was a gospel singer, and Whitney was exposed to gospel music at a young age.
She sang in her church choir and participated in talent shows, forming her unique sound. Her musical upbringing influenced her to become one of the greatest voices of all time.
16. Whitney was a mentor to fellow R&B artist Mariah Carey.
Whitney Houston was a mentor to Mariah Carey. She offered guidance and support to Mariah as she rose to fame in the 90s.
Whitney’s friendship and mentorship with Mariah were widely recognized and celebrated. She is remembered for her generosity and impact on the music industry.
17. She was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2010.
Whitney Houston was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2010. This honor recognizes recordings of lasting significance that are at least 25 years old.
Whitney’s induction highlights her talent, impact, and lasting legacy. The Grammy Hall of Fame is highly selective, and Whitney’s induction is a reflection of her respect and admiration in the music industry.
18. She won an Emmy award for her performance in the TV special “Whitney Houston: Live in Concert”.
READ ALSO: 25 Interesting Facts About Kanye West
Whitney Houston won an Emmy for her performance in “Whitney Houston: Live in Concert.” The award recognized her talent and stage presence.
The TV special showcased Whitney’s vocal range and powerful performances. The Emmy win added to Whitney’s impressive list of accolades, solidifying her status as a great performer.
19. Houston was the first African-American woman to be featured on the cover of Seventeen magazine.
In 1981, Whitney Houston became the first African-American woman to grace the cover of Seventeen magazine. This was a milestone for the representation of African-American women in media.
Whitney’s appearance helped raise her profile and introduce her to a larger audience. It remains a significant achievement for Whitney and African-American women.
20. She died in 2012 at the age of 48 due to accidental drowning.
Whitney Houston died in 2012, at the age of 48, as a result of an accidental drowning. Her death was a shock and sent grief throughout the music industry.
Whitney was in the midst of a comeback. Her life and legacy continue to inspire musicians and fans.
21. What did Whitney Houston die of?
Whitney Houston died on February 11, 2012. The official cause of death was listed as accidental drowning, with heart disease and cocaine use listed as contributing factors.
22. Houston’s rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the 1991 Super Bowl is considered one of the best of all time.
Whitney Houston’s “Star-Spangled Banner” at Super Bowl XXV is considered one of the best renditions of the national anthem. Her powerful voice and emotional interpretation elevated the traditional patriotic song.
This performance solidified Whitney’s place as a legendary musical performer.
23. She was known for her philanthropic work and was a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador.
Whitney Houston was a philanthropist and a UN Goodwill Ambassador. She actively supported various charitable causes and advocated for UN initiatives.
Her philanthropic work was widely recognized, and she remains an inspiring example of a celebrity doing social good.
These “Fun Facts About Whitney Houston” highlight the incredible talent, achievements, and impact that Whitney Houston had on the music industry and popular culture.
From her powerful voice, inspiring lyrics, and iconic music videos to her philanthropic work and impactful personal life, Whitney Houston remains one of the most beloved and celebrated musicians of all time.
These fun facts offer a glimpse into the life of an extraordinary artist whose legacy continues to live on and inspire generations.
FAQs : Fun Facts About Whitney Houston
- What were Whitney Houston's last words before she died?
The last words spoken by Whitney Houston before she died have not been made public. The information surrounding her death is considered private and has not been disclosed to the media or public.
- What did Whitney Houston died of?
Whitney Houston died on February 11, 2012, at the age of 48. The official cause of her death was determined to be drowning, with the “effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use” listed as contributing factors.
- Why was Whitney Houston net worth so low?
Whitney Houston’s net worth declined due to substance abuse, lavish spending, and financial mismanagement. She had substantial debt and was the target of legal action from creditors. Despite her successful career, these factors negatively impacted her finances.
- Who was Whitney's best friend?
Whitney Houston had a close friendship with Robyn Crawford. They met as teens and remained close friends and collaborators throughout Houston’s life. Their relationship was speculated about in the media, but both women maintained it was platonic.
- What song did they sing at Whitney Houston funeral?
Several songs were performed during Whitney Houston’s funeral, which was held on February 18, 2012, in New Jersey. Some of the musical performances during the service included:
“I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston’s longtime mentor, music producer, and CEO of Arista Records, Clive Davis
“Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Grammy award-winning gospel singer Kim Burrell
“The Lord is My Shepherd” by gospel singer Donnie McClurkin
“Jesus Loves Me” by gospel singer CeCe Winans