25 Interesting Facts About New Balance! (Sneakerheads Rejoice)
- New Balance is an American Footwear Company Founded by William J. Riley in 1906.
- New Balance Began as a Manufacturer of Arch Supports and Orthopedic Shoes for People with Foot Problems.
- The First New Balance Shoe was Launched in 1960, called the “Trackster”. It was the World’s First Running Shoe with a Ripple Sole.
- The Iconic ‘N’ Logo was Inspired by a Chicken’s Foot Print.
- As of 2022, New Balance was the Fifth-Biggest Sneaker Brand in the United States.
- New Balance is Committed To Sustainability by Using Recycled Materials for Some of its Shoes and Offering a Recycling Program for Used Shoes.
- In 2020, New Balance Debuted its “Fresh Foam” Technology, which provides Superior Cushioning and Support for Athletes.
- New Balance is the Only Major Sports Shoe Company in the United States that still Manufactures some of its Shoes Domestically.
- The New Balance 990 Sneaker Model Became Popular after being Featured on the US Postal Service Uniform from 1983-2019.
- New Balance has Sponsored Many Athletes including Basketball Stars Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, Football Player Tom Brady, and Tennis Players Novak Djokovic and Caroline Wozniacki.
- In 2015, New Balance Released its ‘Made in USA’ Collection which Features Running Sneakers Crafted at their Domestic Factories using Premium Materials Sourced from US Suppliers.
- New Balance has been Involved in Many Charity Initiatives, including the American Cancer Society’s ‘Lace Up For The Cure’ Campaign.
- In 2019, New Balance Acquired British Shoemaker PF Flyers from Reebok.
- New Balance has Sponsored Several Global Music Tours over the years including the Rolling Stones’ “No Filter” tour in 2019.
- New Balance Created a Special Edition Shoe to Commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the 990 model.
Table of Contents
Interesting Facts About New Balance
Here are 25 facts about New Balance:
1. New Balance is an American Footwear Company Founded by William J. Riley in 1906.
William J. Riley created a professional diversified footwear company that became New Balance in 1906. Consequently, it was the very first time American footwear innovation had come to town!
Armed with the mission to provide production excellence in arch supports and designing delicate sole structures, New Balance set itself apart from any other provider of high quality shoes.
2. New Balance Began as a Manufacturer of Arch Supports and Orthopedic Shoes for People with Foot Problems.
New Balance started out as a manufacturer specializing in arch supports and shoes designed to ease foot pain. Their commitment was rooted in a passion for helping people find meaningful relief.
Expansion into footwear services was motivated by the want to create purposefully designed shoes, optimizing comfort and performance.
3. The First New Balance Shoe was Launched in 1960, called the “Trackster”. It was the World’s First Running Shoe with a Ripple Sole.
Trackster model signifying a completely new way of fashioning padded athletic footwear provided runners with unmatched comfort and support.
As the starting point for the brand’s legacy, the Trackster opened up unchartered possibilities for sneakers in a variety of different sports and activities, becoming an essential part of society’s transforming needs for performance athletes.
4. New Balance is the Only Major Sports Shoe Company in the United States that still Manufactures some of its Shoes Domestically.
New Balance routinely makes a point of showing how dedicated they are to America.
As the only major sports shoe company in the United States that quell with the manufacturing process domestically, they take pride in their operations in five factories located throughout Maine and Massachusetts.
5. The Iconic ‘N’ Logo was Inspired by a Chicken’s Foot Print.
William J Riley, the founder of the Iconic “N” Logo was out for a walk with his dog when something extraordinary happened.
He spotted the unmistakable knick of a chicken’s foot print near a farm amongst his home in Boston.
Immediately inspired by this vision, he decided to use the shape’s unique combination of curves and af points to become the blueprint for his design.
6. The New Balance 990 Sneaker Model Became Popular after being Featured on the US Postal Service Uniform from 1983-2019.
First released in 1982, the New Balance 990 caught the attention of US postal service uniform designers. They saw it as the perfect update to their classic style, and it soon became part of their official wardrobe from 1983 to 2019.
As increasing numbers of people noticed this iconic shoe design amongst their mail carriers, it was deemed a stylish must-have throughout the United States.
Thus, it rapidly grew in popularity and can now be spotted from coast to coast!
7. New Balance has Sponsored Many Athletes including Basketball Stars Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, Football Player Tom Brady, and Tennis Players Novak Djokovic and Caroline Wozniacki.
Throughout the years, New Balance has sponsored many elite athletes, garnering an enviable list of superstars.
These include members from a variety of sports, including basketball and its premier stars Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, World Champion football player Tom Brady, and major tournament victors Novak Djokovic and Caroline Wozniacki from tennis.
8. As of 2022, New Balance was the Fifth-Biggest Sneaker Brand in the United States.
2021 saw New Balance boast a valiant ranking amongst the biggest sneaker brands in the United States.
It claimed the fifth position convincingly, evidencing an impressive show of power amid booming competition coming from all sides.
By 2022, it had become well-known that New Balance was growing at an astounding rate.
9. New Balance also Produces other Athletic Apparel such as Running Shorts, Hats, Jackets and Shirts.
New Balance offers more than just shoes. They produce a wide selection of athletic apparel, perfect for runners and athletes.
Whether you’re looking for running shorts, hats, jackets or shirts, New Balance has something that will suit your needs. From classic designs to modern updates and fresh takes, New Balance delivers apparel style along with exceptional quality and superior comfort.
10. In 2015, New Balance Released its ‘Made in USA’ Collection which Features Running Sneakers Crafted at their Domestic Factories using Premium Materials Sourced from US Suppliers.
The shoes were handled with the utmost care by highly skilled employees from their state-side factories. Behind the scenes, an endless supply of premium materials being continuously shipped in from US suppliers gave wings to the entire project’s success.
Such efforts resulted in a finished product that speaks volumes to New Balance’s extraordinary commitment to artisanship and ingenuity.
11. New Balance Has Launched Many Flagship Stores Throughout the World Over The Years, Including one in London’s Iconic Carnaby Street in 2008.
For nearly four decades, New Balance has held strong as a trusted lifestyle brand in the industry. Over the years they’ve launched several flagship stores around the globe—a celebrated testament to their international success.
In 2008, one of their most iconic locations opened up in Carnaby Street London—an area already recognized for its cutting-edge cool style and fashion.
12. New Balance is Committed To Sustainability by Using Recycled Materials for Some of its Shoes and Offering a Recycling Program for Used Shoes.
By utilizing recycled materials in the production of some of its shoes, they are helping to eliminate waste and preserve resources.
Additionally, they’ve created a recycling program for gently used shoes so they can be repaired and reused rather than tossed out.
Their commitment to “change the game” extends beyond their high quality products, but into creating long lasting, environmentally conscious solutions.
13. New Balance has been Involved in Many Charity Initiatives, including the American Cancer Society’s ‘Lace Up For The Cure’ Campaign.
New Balance has been deeply involved in global charity initiatives.
From partnering with American Cancer Society’s ‘Lace Up For The Cure’ campaign which helps to raise donations and increase awareness of the fight against cancer, to teaming up with UNICEF to provide essential aid to children affected by conflict and natural disasters, New Balance has remained unwavering in its commitment to making a positive difference in the world.
14. In 2019, New Balance Acquired British Shoemaker PF Flyers from Reebok.
In 2019, New Balance acquired a great addition to their company as they welcomed British Shoemaker PF Flyers into their family. This was made possible through the completion of the deal with Reebok.
15. New Balance also Operates a Licensing Business, Selling Sports-Inspired Apparel Under its Own Brand as well as other Brands such as Jockey and Champion USA.
New Balance is no ordinary footwear company — it also has a licensing business. The company offers both its own branded sports apparel and that of beloved sportswear companies, including Jockey and Champion USA.
With such an expansive range of options to choose from, New Balance beautifully bridges fashion with athletics for unstoppable everyday style
16. New Balance Produces over 4 million Pairs of Shoes each year, Most of which are Manufactured Overseas in Countries like China, Vietnam and Thailand.
New Balance, the internationally renowned shoe company, produces an incredible four million pairs of shoes each year. A large portion of these shoes are made overseas in countries including China, Vietnam and Thailand.
These nations have developed deep expertise in footware production over time, offering materials suitable to New Balance’s exacting standards.
READ ALSO: 25 Fun Facts About Louis Vuitton
17. In 2020, New Balance Debuted its “Fresh Foam” Technology, which provides Superior Cushioning and Support for Athletes.
New Balance made a major stride forward in the sports world with their widely anticipated “Fresh Foam” technology.
This breakthrough furnishes runners and athletes alike with unprecedented cushioning and support powerful enough to facilitate any move they could think to make while competing.
18. New Balance was a Major Sponsor of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, providing Official Gear for Athletes Competing in Track and Field Events.
New Balance has long been a cornerstone of the Olympic sports world, and their presence loomed large at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
The company was chosen to be a Major Sponsor, proudly granting its official gear to the athletes competing in the grueling Track and Field Events.
19. New Balance has Signed Partnerships with Several Professional Sports Teams.
They’ve built relationships with some of the biggest names in the league.
The MLB’s Boston Red Sox, NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, NHL’s Ottawa Senators, and NFL’s New England Patriots are just a few of the esteemed teams they have signed on with.
This shows their commitment to excellence that can benefit any athlete they align themselves with.
20. New Balance Also Sponsors International Running Events such as the London Marathon and Berlin Marathon.
New Balance sponsors a variety of international events with a focus on running.
Their partnerships include the London Marathon, one of the world’s most established and exciting marathons, which has been running since 1981.
The Brand is also the key sponsor of the prestigious Berlin Marathon, now entering its 45th year.
21. In 2017, New Balance Launched its First Sportswear Capsule Collection in Collaboration with Fashion Designer JW Anderson.
In 2017, New Balance had an exciting new venture.
The experiential collaboration, aimed specifically at Athletics Lifestyle enthusiasts and fashion connoisseurs alike, was the brand’s first ever sportswear capsule collection.
READ ALSO: 22 Fun Facts About Gucci! (Gucci-licious)
22. New Balance has Eight Signature Lines: Performance Running, Lifestyle Athletic, Classics, Women’s Performance Running, Training, Kids, Outdoor and Golf.
New Balance carries a wide selection in its shoe line, giving customers the ability to have varied needs met. With eight signature lines for shoppers to choose from, there is something for any occasion or activity.
Performance Running, Lifestyle Athletic, Classics, Women’s Performance Running, Training, Kids, Outdoor and Golf are all Signature Lines stocked by New Balance that span an array of activities from exercise or running to golf or leisure wear.
23. New Balance has Sponsored Several Global Music Tours over the years including the Rolling Stones’ “No Filter” tour in 2019.
New Balance was a proud sponsor of The Rolling Stones’ “No Filter” Tour.
Participating in such theatrical productions involving renowned figures kept the brand in alignment with its core mission: pushing individuals to stay balanced in their physical activities and leisurely interests.
This is why New Balance has invested deeply into arts, entertainment and recreational activities throughout nearly five decades of existence.
24. To Celebrate its 110th Anniversary in 2016, New Balance Released a Limited Edition Sneaker line using Premium Materials and Featuring the Iconic ‘N’ logo in all-over print Designs.
To commemorate its milestone 110th anniversary in 2016, New Balance released a special footwear collection!
Each model was crafted with premium materials and featured the iconic “N” logo on an all-over print design.
25. New Balance Created a Special Edition Shoe to Commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the 990 model.
In an exciting bit of news for sneaker connoisseurs, New Balance has released a special edition shoe to commemorate the 30th anniversary of their 990 model.
With advanced cushioning technology called “Ultra Heel”, this shoe focuses on impact absorption when running or training. Its technical components provide cushioning and comfort whether you are running boost laps or logging gym miles.
By providing high-quality products crafted with performance-enhancing technologies and sustainable materials, New Balance has become a leader in the footwear industry.
With its numerous charity initiatives as well as collaborations with international athletes, teams and fashion designers, New Balance has undoubtedly earned its spot as one of the world’s most respected shoe brands.
The facts above shed light on just how far New Balance has come in terms of innovation and impact over the past 110 years. With new initiatives in the works, this iconic brand is sure to continue pushing boundaries.
FAQs : Interesting Facts About New Balance
- Is New Balance owned by Nike?
No, New Balance is not owned by Nike. New Balance is a company that has been independently owned and operated for over 110 years. It all began in 1906 when William J. Riley opened the first factory in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Why do podiatrists recommend New Balance?
Podiatrists often recommend New Balance for their patients due to the quality craftsmanship, comfort and performance of the shoes. The brand’s signature footwear lines are designed with advanced technology and materials, providing cushioning and support for all types of activities.
- Is New Balance a Korean brand?
New Balance shoes are an excellent option for those who need to stand all day. The brand’s signature lines offer superior cushioning and support, making them perfect for people who have to be on their feet for long periods of time. New Balance shoes also feature specialized construction technology that helps reduce fatigue and strain on the body.
- Is New Balance a dad shoe?
No, New Balance is not a traditional dad shoe. While they may feature similar design elements such as thick soles, the brands signature lines are actually focused on providing superior cushioning and support for all types of activities. The shoes are crafted with advanced technology and materials, making them perfect for athletes, everyday commuters and fashionistas alike.